HAVING YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT HACKED CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE , JUST ASK MARK ZUCKERBERG !
- Facebook inc first “security tip” for users is “don’t use your facebook password anywhere else online”, but if only chief executive Mark Zuckerberg had heeded that advice.
- We are well acquaint with the widely spread recent news about password hacking of Mark Zuckerberg’s instagram, twitter, and pinterest accounts .
- Mark Zuckerberg forgot his security tip and reused password “dadada” due to which he was victimized by the account hackers according to screenshots of the pages published by tech website “Engadgeted” as stated by USA today.
- Although, Mark Zuckerberg successfully regained his accounts and resecured by removing messages posted thereon, but this simple mistake has created a dark cloud for a little moment on the surface of his brilliant mind .
- Cyber attackers “Ourmine” broke into facebook boss’s twitter and pinterest account and posted messages celebrating their success and also claiming credit for the hack, saying that Zuckerberg credentials were discovered in a database of compromised LinkedIn accounts.
- Account hackers disclosed that passwords have been stolen in 2012 but were made public recently.
- Hackers not only hacked his password but also posted on Mr Zuckerberg’s twitter account that “You were in LinkedIn database ….Direct message for proof”. They also changed the name of his pinterest account to “Hacked by Ourmine Team”.
REASONS THAT LED TO HACKING OF ZUCKERBERG ACCOUNT
- Disuse of account that led Mark Zuckerberg’s account to be targetted , since twitter account was created in February 2009 and has almost a million followers but only 19 tweets were sent . The most recent was in January 2012 and all the rest from 2009.
- Precautionary steps were not taken in respect of account functioning by Mark Zuckerberg. It might be the cause for this happening as stated by USA today.
HACKS LIKE AN INCIDENT INVOLVING ZUCKERBERG ARE A REMINDER FOR MILLIONS OF USERS TO USE STRONG PASSWORD.
HENCE , ITS NOT TOO LATE TO CHANGE YOUR LINKEDIN PASSWORD!!
- Set a strong and unique password for your LinkedIn account.
- Activate two-factor authentication – It is an essential step in online security , as it provides an extra protection layer.
- Check from what devices you’re still connected to LinkedIn – This option is quite useful as it allows you to see which devices you are still connected to your linkedIn account. Use it to see what sessions are still active.
- Who do you connect to ? – Only connect to people you actually know. Stop adding network to unknown people otherwise it will increase the risk of adding possible cyber crooks who can use your data for selling on the black market.
- Use a password manager.
- Check third party apps connected to your account.
- Request an archive of your data.
- Don’t forget to sign out of your online account.
- Keep your software up-to-date.
Now the question arises HOW DO HACKERS GET PASSWORD ?
There are many methods which are being used by hackers to hack anyone’s password. They are- KEYLOGGERS –
- Exist in the system memory.
- It gets activated at every startup.
- It logs all keystrokes you type.
- Another log is created which is sent to the hacker.
- It stands for Remote Administration Tool.
- Hackers can connect to your PC through RAT without your knowledge.
- He can see the sites and activities of users going on the screen, what you are currently doing, which sites you surf.
- It also has the built-in functionality of keylogger through which hackers copy files from your harddisk to his computer , without your knowledge.
TROJAN HORSE –
- It is spread through warez sites.
- All the keygans, patches and original trial progarm get trojaned while downloading through warez sites.
HENCE , BE A SMART USER !!!
- Never trust warez sites. There is a lot of malware flowing out there.
- Install a good licenced anti-virus.
- Always have your Windows Firewall turned on.
- Don’t run .exe programs given by anyone.
- Don’t run attachments from emails.
An article by – Meetalinanda